Friday, February 26, 2010

Haiti Update 6

View from home where team stays
At church

I received the following email yesterday. I hope to get another one this morning and if I do I will pass it along but, last night the internet connection dropped. It also has been difficult for Pete to email many pictures because of the slow connection. We will post his pictures once he returns.


I have been here almost a week, and as I pass by the rubble I notice it even less. This is concerning. I don't like it. I will try to refocus today on the destruction.

The theme of the day yesterday was relationships. Lasting relationships.. Relationships formed with other team members and translators.

A relationship was formed with a Haitian who has been working in Boston. He is moving up the managerial ladder at HUD. He came down to Haiti to check in on his mother and nine siblings. All are safe. Yet his flight was a week away and he had a burning desire to help his people, so he walked into the ER I was running. "Do you need help? I just want to help. I will be available for the next five days." I told him that the translators make, if the funds are available, five dollars a day, which is quite good in Haiti. He didn't want money, only the chance to make a difference in his home country. Rarely do you run into acts of true altruism - but this is about as close as I have witnessed. We stood by each other for the ensuing three days, laughing(mostly at my Creole and him passing out at the sight of blood), crying, supporting, entrusting. I will never forget him; he served without accolades, newspaper articles, awards or even the thanks from the patients. He served because he loves his people, all people. He taught me a lot about true service. I will never forget his friendship. Alexander has impacted my life and brought me closer to my God.

Today we work a half day in the clinic and then we go out into the city for a first-hand account of the destruction. I will bring back pictures for all to see. I will try to tell their story. I love Haiti and my heart bleeds.

2 comments:

The Zehrs said...

Susan, (and Pete)

Thank you so much for sharing this journey. What an amazing, life changing experience. Pete's words have many times moved me to tears and I find them replaying in my head throughout the day. The things that he has observed about relationships has challanged me to a new level with my work with my intellectually disabled clients. Thanks so much for serving, sharing and inspiring.

Melinda said...

Susan, my children are patients of Dr. Cobbs' and just love him to pieces. I belong to a local church, Rock Springs, who is looking to do outreach programs, Dr. Cobb mentioned he may go back every three or four months to help again, if there is anything we as a church small group can make or put together for Dr. Cobb to take with him for the children, something of comfort or supplies, please don't hesitate to contact me and we can arrange something. I am glad he shared this blog with me, I shared it with my daughter so she too, could get involved. Melinda