Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A fresh perspective

The Bible amazes me. This morning I read a familiar story and its effect reminded me of a hymn I sang during childhood: 

"Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me."

The words of the Bible, although unchanging, are able to fall afresh on our hearts. Each time we study scripture, there lies the possibility of unearthing buried treasure. This morning I read about the miracle of Jesus walking on water. It has always been just that....the miracle where Jesus walks on water. But today I read the passage differently. I focused on the disciples. Have you ever wondered why they were so scared when Jesus appeared to them on the water? They thought he was a ghost! The very one who already performed miracles before them, the one they laid down their lives to follow, it was he who shocked them by showing up on the water. I'm sure the sight of a figure walking on water made them jump, but was it really such a surprise? Are we surprised when our Lord shows up? Should have the disciples, in their faith, called out to him? Should they have expected him? 

Do we?

This fresh perspective confirmed the day's words of my devotional: God is a God of abundance. He doesn't run out of miracles, or answers, time to listen to requests, or ability to answer prayer. He is a God of details. He is everywhere. We can expect Him to be with us always. But the disciples didn't expect Jesus to show up. There are times I haven't either. This is not the faith that says, "He won't come." It is not the faith that says, "He will come." It is the faith that has not yet grasped how big our God is. We believe, but we don't yet expect.

And the disciples? They fought strong wind and rough waters in their attempt to row to shore. Then Jesus came aboard, and "immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading. "  

Expect God, in His abundance, to help you reach your shore. 

:)

1 comments:

Tina said...

Ooohhh... I needed to be reminded of this today.

Yes.

After the storm and the waves... we reach the shore.

I see the shore in sight!