Monday, March 16, 2009

Prayers for Africa

Africa is a continent in need.  There exists war, hunger, and disease, which lead to war atrocities, starvation, an orphan crisis, homelessness, slavery, and corruption. This is a partial list. The bottom line is simple...Africa is a continent in need. 

There are videos and stories that will break your heart. Children left to starve. Women used. Young boys forced to fight and kill. Death due to preventable disease. Unimaginable situations are common. I don't know how I ever looked past the plight of these people. It is devastating, yet it was once so easy to look past it as someone else's problem. Now, it is my problem. It is our problem. These are God's children, and they suffer.  What will we do?

God is moving in Africa. I despair over the pain and suffering and hopelessness and heartache that continue, but I rejoice because I know He is there.  I watch Him use His people to introduce hope. Hope comes in many forms. It arrives through gifts of clean water, orphan care, mosquito nets, adoption, medical care, church-planting, and refugee assistance. The greatest of these is the Hope found in Christ. Africa needs a Savior.

I am privileged to know a few of God's people who serve Africa. Following are links to their blogs and websites. I also will include others I follow. Please take a moment to read their stories and learn how God is using them to reach the people of Africa. Please pray for them. As you become more aware of the needs in Africa, please pray for your role. Each of us may not be called as missionaries or to adopt, but we all are called to serve those in need.  

Servants:

Adoption: Hood Family

Organizations:


Articles of Awareness
warning: content may be graphic





This list is far from complete. Please send me your ideas and I will include them! 

Please continue to pray for the African people and thank God for the work He is doing.


0 comments: