Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Origin of a Call, Part I

David challenges us in the book of Psalms to declare what God has done for us.

"I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly;
I do not seal my lips,
as you know, O Lord.
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly."
Psalm 40:9-10

I want to share with you a story of God's faithfulness in my life. The story has just begun. I cannot yet see "the end" but I feel Him at work in my heart, and therefore I know this story is His and worth sharing. I do not need to have an end. I know He will get me there. With God, the journey is just as important as the destination. He calls each of us to something great and it is during the "finding out" that He shapes us for His service. I expect that when I am ready for His calling He will lead me directly to it. In the meantime, I seek Him, He prunes me (OUCH!) and together we walk the path He has set for me.

It was approximately four years ago when LifePoint Church, our incredible church home, led its members to a Sacred Gathering, a fast. We fasted for three days and met each evening for a time of prayer and worship. I specifically remember sitting in my chair during the Gathering, talking with God. I felt His call to something but literally had no inkling as to what. I wanted to know it and do it....right away. I begged Him, "Please, Father, show me where you want me to go. Show me what you want me to do." He answered clearly and somewhat unexpectedly: you're not ready yet. That was a large and needed blow to my plan but it was clear, so I set myself about the task of preparation. I spent more time with God.

Last February, three years after our first Sacred Gathering, LifePoint held a second. The first fast was obviously a success. God blessed us through it. The second fast was so well attended that our Multi-Purpose Center overflowed. We moved to the larger, Worship Center. It was quite a sight, the mass of hungry people walking together to be filled by God. What a moment. The feeling of unity was strong. Everyone was clearly excited and filled with anticipation as we wondered how God would use the fast to guide our church and her people. It was an amazing experience I highly recommend to those medically able to fast (have to throw that in there!). Hunger has a way of breaking down the walls we place between ourselves and God. It intensifies our focus. Jesus fasted forty days and forty nights. I was lucky to get through three.

Prior to the second fast, I was told our church was establishing a partnership with missionaries in Africa. I was very excited. I thought about it occasionally and knew I wanted to visit one day. Then, the second Sacred Gathering commenced and the floodgates of all things Africa opened. They haven't closed.

OK, my time to write for the day has officially ended. There are two precious five-year-olds who want lunch. Now.

1 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Susan! I'm excited to see where God is leading you! Thank you for being obedient to start this blog....I'm going to enjoy getting to know you more and hearing what He says through you!!!!