Monday, February 16, 2009

Origin of a Call, Part II

The days of the second Sacred Gathering were intense. Fasts can be that way. I had a great deal on my mind and searched God's heart for answers to several questions. The search drew me closer to Him, but I did not receive emphatic statements on the issues I hoped He would address. It is funny how we sometimes go to God with an agenda, isn't it? He spoke about HIS desires during those days.....not my "needs." That was a lesson in itself! The passion He laid on my heart was for the people of Africa.

The first evening of the fast I sat in silence, as we often did during our directed prayer time, to allow myself time to listen to God. At that point in my life, I never sat and listened. Doing so would have been unproductive! I could sit and read, or sit and pray, but to sit and listen? It never crossed my mind. Time spent sitting was time I should have been "doing." Now you know this about me, so it will come as no surprise that I was overwhelmed once I sat and listened. (If you are not able to do this, train yourself! You will be blessed.) I sat with my eyes closed and allowed God to direct my thoughts. Suddenly, images of precious African children flashed through my mind's eye. They were smiling, joyful, even hopeful, but there was no doubt they were the faces of children in need. I remember thinking, OK.......that was pretty clear. Mission trip, anyone?

The events of the following two days confirmed the call to serve the people of Africa. They also broadened it. This was more than a call to go on a single mission trip. I flipped through the mail on day two of the fast and noticed our college's quarterly catalog. The cover story? Davidson's medical mission trip to Africa. I eagerly read and acquired a more in-depth knowledge of the health issues faced by many Africans. They are numerous and in many instances, preventable.

The week coincided with Spiritual Life Week at our children's school. Students attend a weekly chapel throughout the year, but during this week they attend daily. Each morning they are treated to a program that may include a special speaker, musician, skits, and more. I received an email about one of the programs on day three of the fast. One of the members of Jars of Clay, an incredible Christian rock group, was on campus to introduce students to an organization the band supports, Blood:Water Mission. The organization promotes and establishes programs to facilitate clean blood and clean water throughout, of course, Africa. Between poring over their website and giving my kids the great inquisition about the program, I continued to learn in greater detail about the needs of the African people. I also began to loosely shape my vision for making a difference.

That ended my three day fast. I emerged with a passion placed on my heart by God. He allowed me the opportunity to feel His call to the African people and learn more about their needs in the same three days. His Providence is amazing! He began to refine my vision not long after the fast was complete and continues to do so today.

I'll spare you those details until Part III. :)

1 comments:

Tina said...

And thus begins the work IN you before it begins THROUGH you....

Adventure, anyone?