Monday, February 09, 2009

Timing

I thought it might be nice to explain my blog title. Timing is everything - as long as it is God's.

God's timing is often a mystery. We wait for answered prayer or events to unfold. We wait and we grow weary and impatient. Do you wonder if He hears you? Take refuge in knowing that our God "searches minds and hearts" (Psalm 7:9) and therefore knows every thought in our mind and desire of our heart. He often calls us to wait, but consider the promise for those who do:

"I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
He set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God."
Psalm 40:1-3

One recent day, after waiting patiently for several years to hear from God on a matter I committed to prayer, I began to see God's will take shape. It was a bad day. It was absolutely not how I wanted that prayer answered. We talked, God and I, and although I didn't confess these thoughts, God knew the reality of what lay in my heart: I've been SO patient, God, aren't I supposed to be rewarded? My way?

The answer is yes....and no. I will be rewarded. He will pull me from the mud (I think I'm about half out), He will set my feet on a rock, and He will put a new song in my mouth. He will do those things at His appointed time and, to answer the second question, in His way. If you are sick, do you want a doctor who will make you feel better or one who will make you well? In this case, my way makes me feel better. God's way makes me well. What will you choose?

0 comments: